Circular - October 2021
To all the Parish SCC Coordinators, Archdiocese of Bombay
My dear Collaborators,
For us Catholics, October reminds us about the Rosary and Mission Sunday. Apart from these two special features, October has a special significance for the Universal Church this year. Pope Francis will inaugurate a two-year Synodal Journey which will gradually unfold into three phases: diocesan, continental and universal, culminating with the XVI Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops in October 2023 in Rome. The theme of the October Synod is, “For a Synodal Church: Communion, Participation and Mission”. The official inauguration of the Synod will be presided over by the Holy Father in the Vatican on October 09-10, 2021, followed by the opening of the Synodal process in the (Arch)dioceses on October 17, 2021. May I request you to pray daily for the success of this two-year synodal journey. (Click here for prayer).
I wish to remind you also of the Diocesan celebration of Thanksgiving Day – October 03, 2021. I am sure you will join me in thanking God for the many blessings He has showered on us, our families, our SCCs, our parishes and our Archdiocese. I thank God for all the collaborators He has blessed me with.
As usual, it is my joy to present to you a Reflection Paper on Mission Sunday. Fr K. T. Emmanuel, Judicial Vicar and Additional Secretary to the Archbishop, has sacrificed his time and prepared the enclosed paper (click here to view / download) which, I believe, will help us become true and effective missionaries in our Small Christian Communities (SCCs). May I request you to forward the same to the SCC Coordinators and Animators, so that it reaches all the families of the parish, as well as the Core-Group members. (This paper has been translated into Marathi by Fr Ajit Tellis, ofm cap., Parish Priest of O.L. Bethlehem Church, Dongri and a member of the ART; I thank Fr Ajit for this translation.) I am sure that besides reflecting on the paper, you will find ways and means to celebrate Mission Sunday in the best manner possible in your parish community.
May I remind you of the following essential points:
1. The monthly Core-Group Meetings must be held regularly. This will help you to disseminate all the important matters discussed during the PPC meeting to the families within the SCCs.
2. Please encourage/enthuse all the SCC Animators to either meet or contact each of the Cluster families entrusted to him/her. In doing so, you will be instrumental in translating the Archdiocesan Mission Statement – ‘No one in want’ - into reality.
3. The Steering Committee, comprising all the SCC Coordinators and Priests-in-charge of the SCCs, must meet either monthly/bi-monthly/once a quarter. A copy of the minutes of these meetings may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. The SCC Quarterly Reports for the period July 2021 to September 2021should be sent to email@example.com immediately, but not later than October 15.
5. Please see how best you can plan for celebrating the 5th World Day of the Poor (Sunday, November 14) in your SCCs and parish community.
6. I am sure that you have begun the process of identifying your successor, in case you are completing six years as the Parish SCC Coordinator on May 31, 2022.
I am aware of the work pressures being made on you. I am equally confident of your support and collaboration as we all desire to make our SCCs vibrant and alive. You have the support of my simple prayer and good wishes as you continue to be on a mission: to keep the SCCs flourishing in your parish community.
God bless you.
Yours in Christ,
✠Barthol Barretto Auxiliary Bishop of Bombay & Bishop in-charge of SCCs, Archdiocese of Bombay
October 1, 2021